Saturday, June 28, 2008

Knitting Vs. Crochet

I've crocheted about 15 simple granny squares (not counting three or so "practice runs" in scrap yarn). I think I've got the simple granny down pat. I'm not saying they're perfect, but they're good enough in my own estimation. Once I've finished my current project, I'll look into using different colors for different rounds. (Since the yarn I'm using now is variegated, I haven't bothered with that, so far.) I'm also planning to try a couple different types of granny square/motifs.

While working that basic pattern over and over again, I gradually have come to the point that I don't have to think so much about what I'm doing. I can listen to music or TV, or just let myself daydream.

Sometimes my thoughts have wandered to the public opinion of crochet versus knitting. I don't know much about knitting, and I know only a little more about crochet-- but even I know that knitting is currently "hipper" than crochet. For whatever reason, the re-popularization of crochet hasn't been quite as strong and widespread as that of knitting.

Personally, I've always felt more of an interest in crochet-- maybe because I remember seeing my mother crochet (rarely-- it wasn't one of her biggest hobbies). I give most of the credit to the nostalgic, retro appeal of the granny square and similar motifs. That's still just about the limit of my crochet ambition. I'm not interested in having to check gauge-- or in following elaborate patterns (esp. those that would require me to keep count, which is something I loathe)-- or in making clothing. I just want to make a few accessory-type items, from time to time. (Maybe someday I'll look into doily-making. For now, I think that's too finicky for my abilities. Fortunately I'm not one of those poor souls who can't bear to have a little "fussiness" around the house, so doilies are welcome in our home. (g))

Anyway, as a relative new-comer to the "fray", I've been interested in reading the various arguments for each craft. One argument against crochet seems to be that it uses more yarn than knitting. While this is true, it's apparently been blown out of proportion. Some have said (and even printed!) that crochet uses three times as much yarn as knitting. The truth of the matter seems to be much less dramatic-- crochet uses about 1/3 more yarn than knitting. (Either someone's out to scare people away from crochet or they got confused and only remembered that the proportion had something to do with "3". . . )

I was interested to find that someone actually wrote a blog entry on the subject. Five different stitches were put to the test: single crochet, double crochet, knitted stockinette stitch, knitted garter stitch, and plain tunisian crochet. Skipping all the other details (which you can find at the link above), the results were as follows: Knitted stockinette stitch was the clear winner (if by "winning" one means using the least amount of yarn to make a specified size swatch of fabric). Double crochet came in second place. Single crochet and knitted garter stitch were almost exactly equal-- third place in economy. Tunisian crochet came in last place.

Interesting. . .
Well, enough rambling on this subject. . .

Hope your Saturday's off to a great start! :o)