Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday Six -- Episode 221

I think this is last week's set of Saturday Six questions, but I'm in a memey mood, so. . .

1. You order a plate of wings: what’s your first choice: mild, hot, inferno or teriyaki?

Probably hot. I generally like spicy things to be spicy-- but not so hot that it's less of a flavor and than a burning sensation. But I don't honestly know, as I don't think I've ever ordered a plate of wings. We're not really interested in wings. Too much trouble for too little meat. (g)

2. Which makes the best base for barbeque sauce: mustard, vinegar or ketchup?

I'm not a barbeque sauce connoisseur, either. . . In my experience, the best base for barbeque sauce is barbeque sauce right out of the bottle! ;o) If I had to make my own, I'd probably use both ketchup and mustard, but keep the vinegar far, far away from me.

3. If you could learn the eleven herbs and spices used in Kentucky Fried Chicken, how likely would you be to attempt to make it yourself? Why?

I might give it a try, just for curiosity's sake. If I didn't try it, it wouldn't be for ethical reasons (g) but more because neither of us eat fried chicken that often as it is. Why get ourselves hooked on another food we really ought not to eat?

4. Take the quiz: Which condiment are you?




You Are Barbeque Sauce



You are a social person. You enjoy cooking for other people.

You are both skillful and competitive. You enjoy mastering hard tasks.

You appreciate complexity more than simplicity.



Your taste in food tends to lean toward interesting flavors.

You appreciate exotic spice combinations. You tend to like cutting edge, fusion cuisine.

You get along with all personalities from a distance. Except salsa personalities, who always seem to annoy you.


Hm. . . Not really. (g) I hardly ever cook for more than just the two of us. I enjoy the company of some people, but I doubt that makes me a social person. I'm definitely not into "cutting edge, fashion cuisine". And I actually eat much more salsa than barbeque sauce. Shocking how such a scientific quiz could be so very, very wrong! ;o)

Well, ok, the getting along with personalities from a distance is probably about right. . . I'm not sure about the complexity vs. simplicity thing. I just like what I like-- though maybe I like rich foods more than very plain ones. I am competitive, and I'm not without skill, though when I'm "mastering difficult tasks" I tend to become frustrated if the "mastering" takes longer than expected.

5. Of the condiments currently in your refrigerator, which would you say you have used the least in the last year?

Mayonnaise. I use it in only one or two recipes, and neither of us touches the stuff, otherwise.

6. After months of unsuccessful attempts, you finally get the recipe for a food you enjoy. When making it for the first time yourself, you discover an individual ingredient that you hate in everything else. Would you still make the dish with that ingredient, or would you try it without?

This happens with mayonnaise, from time to time. I still use the ingredient (though I may use less of it than is called for, in some cases).

On the other hand. . . We had a very bad experience with cumin, earlier in our marriage. We made up a big batch of something that called for (way too much) cumin, and because it needed to simmer all day, we were suffocated by the smell for hours. By the time we were supposed to eat it, neither of us could stand the flavor. (That smell still haunts me. . . Like the odor of those sharks we had to dissect in marine biology in high school. . . Ugh.) So these days-- even though I know it's in many of the prepared foods I eat-- I'd probably be hesitant to add it to recipes. Maybe I'd wait and see if it tasted like it needed it.