Friday, January 11, 2008

Friday's Feast

Today's meme, from Friday's Feast:

Appetizer
What is your middle name? Would you change any of your names if you could? If so, what would you like to be called?

Christina.
As I have an unusual first name, I've written about this before, but here's a brief recap-- No, I wouldn't change my name. I've had it long enough, now, that I'd have trouble thinking of myself by another name. (I decided that back in Kindergarten, when the other kids were temporarily calling me by my middle name.)

Soup
If you were a fashion designer, which fabrics, colors, and styles would you probably use the most?

If I designed what I wear, it'd be mostly jeans (with an occasional non-denim pair of pants) and tailored/fitted tops. All sorts of colors-- everything from black and drab olive to aqua and magenta.

If we're talking total fantasy, I'd like to design clothes with a retro/vintage feel. Bring back the hat and glove (for more than fashion models)! ;o) Again, I wouldn't want to be restricted in my color choices-- or my fabrics-- but instead, I'd do a little of everything. Anything that caught my eye would be fair game. Pair a brown tweed skirt with a frilly silk top, for instance, and throw in a pair of thigh-high leather boots for good measure! (g) I'd like to bring back the long, flowing empire-waisted gowns (like you see in Austen flicks) for more than just formal occasions.

Now, would anyone (including myself) actually want to wear this stuff? I don't know.

Salad
What is your least favorite chore, and why?

Oh, there are so many non-favorites! How do I choose just one? ;o)

At the moment, I think my least favorite is dusting. It's just such a pain, getting in all those nooks and crannies, and it doesn't seem to last at all. Maybe this is what I get for actually enjoying dusting when I was younger.

I may try to get rid of (or temporarily box up) some knick-knacks in an attempt to somewhat decrease the number of things I have to dust. I'm not really a minimalist at heart, but I'm a lazy housekeeper. (g)

Main Course
What is something that really frightens you, and can you trace it back to an event in your life?

I used to be really scared of deep water. I was even uneasy walking on a large, sturdy pier with guard rails. I'm not quite that frightened now, but if I were in a small boat without a life jacket, I'd be pretty nervous. I can't trace it back to any specific event, but probably it came from being told (as a child) to be careful of water, since I could drown. That and not knowing how to swim have made me a bit cautious. ;o)

I'm similarly frightened of snakes, but again, I think that's a legitimate fear. I live in a place that has venomous species, so they are a potential source of danger. I'm sure I was also taught to avoid (and thus fear) snakes. I'm not so scared of snakes that I can't be in the same room with them or look at them without terror, but I like to keep a safe distance. (Even the non-venomous ones can give a nasty bite.)

Dessert
Where are you sitting right now? Name 3 things you can see at this moment.

I'm in the living room/"main room" of our house, facing into a corner (because that's where the desk is).

Three things I can see at this moment include the following:
  1. A stack of papers I need to go through (various notes I've taken on everything from quilting and polymer clay to eyeglass frames and websites of interest).
  2. A photo display with tiny pictures from my wedding.
  3. A framed ribbon embroidery (a heart made up of roses and other flowers) given to us by Donald's mother.