Thursday, March 20, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: The End

Here's this week's Booking Through Thursday topic:

The End

You’ve just reached the end of a book . . . what do you do now? Savor and muse over the book? Dive right into the next one? Go take the dog for a walk, the kids to the park, before even thinking about the next book you’re going to read? What?

(Obviously, there can be more than one answer, here–a book with a cliff-hanger is going to engender different reactions than a serene, stand-alone, but you get the idea!)

I'm usually ready for a brief break after finishing a book-- a walk, a little housecleaning-- anything for a change. Meanwhile, I spend some time thinking about what I've just read (whether or not I'm satisfied with it, why characters behaved as they did, etc.). If possible, I like to discuss it with someone or at least read reviews and compare notes.

Unless it's a series (with the next book ready and waiting) or I've already started looking forward to reading a particular book, I don't usually think about what I'm going to read next until later on. Actually, I usually have a hard time making myself start the next book, these days, now that I'm not really "into" any series of books. I think I'm one of those who take a while to warm up to something (such as the next book on my "to read" list), but once I'm ever into it, I can be a bit obsessive about it.

I bought several books at a large library book sale last weekend. With those (and the still unread books already gracing our bookshelves!), I should be able to find something worth reading for some time to come.

Maybe I'll start writing book reviews, like some other bloggers I know. . . Might motivate me to read on a more regular basis. If nothing else, I could at least mention what I'm reading. . .