Tuesday, July 1, 2008

How offensive is that doggie in the window?

Edited to fix a few errors. I get sloppy when I'm angry. (g)

Listening to talk radio while cleaning the kitchen. Heard Boortz talking about a story from the Daily Mail.

Here's the gist:

Somewhere in Scotland, the police sent out postcards advertising the force's new telephone number for non-emergency calls. To make it a little more eye-catching than a boring block of text, they added a cute picture of a puppy and a police officer's hat. Now, some Muslims are complaining about the cards.

You may well wonder why they objected. Could there be some subtle anti-Islamic message hidden in the text? Some forbidden numeric combination (their equivalent of the dreaded triple "6") in the telephone number? No. The problem was the adorable little puppy! Apparently, they consider dogs to be "unclean".

I must've missed that one, somehow. I mean, I knew "The Three Little Pigs" was out. I'd heard that if you drew a cartoon of their prophet, you were toast. Oh, and supposedly a riot in Bangladesh started because the Thom McAn shoe logo resembles the word "Allah". Nike's logo also drew criticism, for the same reason. So no shoes from Nike or Thom McAn, either.

But puppies?!

I'm sorry if it sounds intolerant (Excuse me while I gag over the word!), but I must think less of any religion that belittles dogs, some of mankind's finest allies here on earth. The faithfulness and selflessness that dogs so often exhibit must be pleasing to God. I'm sure of it.

I'm sick of this type of garbage. Look, people-- just take a pair of scissors and cut away the part with the dog, if it's that troubling to you. Or paste a lovely shot of a camel over the puppy. If you're going to live in a Western society, where dogs are generally valued (if not outright loved), you're going to have to learn to live with little annoyances of this kind.

I imagine that most people realize this and wouldn't think of causing a fuss over something so trivial. But those who haven't yet come to terms with the fact that Western culture is not the same as Islamic culture-- and that we don't have to tip-toe around things like photos of nasty little puppy dogs-- those people need to just SHUT UP and get over it.

Oh, I'm sorry. Was that offensive?

Here's a little "present" for you. . .

Surprised Molly-dog ;o)

. . . Molly says "BOO!"



If you find this kind of story interesting, check out this blog.