Tuesday, April 14, 2009

ALERT: You Might be a Rightwing Extremist!

While doing some "production line"-style claying, I tuned in to my regular talk radio station (WABB 1480 AM) to give my brain something to do while my hands made miniature pizza slices. Boortz was talking about an "assessment" (by the DHS-- Department of Homeland Security) of the threat to the country posed by "rightwing extremism". (He got it from Michelle Malkin's site. Here's a direct link to the relelvant story. Or, if you prefer, a link to a PDF of the actual report.)

Accoring to this report:
Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups), and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.
I'll let those of you interested in the subject read about it for yourselves, but I can't resist having a little fun with this.

In the great tradition ;o) of Jeff Foxworthy. . .

You might be a Rightwing Extremist. . .

If you oppose the use of abortion as birth control, you just might be a Rightwing Extremist! (That's right, you sickos! Who the *bleep* do you think you are to be making judgments about what is right or wrong, anyway? Besides, everyone knows there's no such thing as right or wrong. That is so last century!)

If you want our government to uphold its own laws regarding illegal aliens-- er, excuse me, undocumented immigrants or whatever the latest p.c. term is-- you might as well have "Rightwing Extremist" tatooed across your ignorant forehead.

If you support increased patroling of-- or, Heaven forbid, the sealing of our borders (to prevent even more illegals from coming in)-- well, you guessed it-- Rightwing Extremist!

If you dare to see the prudence of limiting the power of the federal government (like, for instance, the Founding Fathers did), I don't know how to break it to ya gently, brother, but chances are high that you are an Extremist of the Rightwing persuasion.

I could go on, but I've made my point.

One final quotation from the brilliant document itself:
DHS/I&A will be working with its state and local partners over the next several months to ascertain with greater regional specificity the rise in rightwing extremist activity in the United States, with a particular emphasis on the political, economic, and social factors that drive rightwing extremist radicalization.
So, take that for what it's worth.

Should I risk going to the Tax Day Tea Party in F------- (at the pier, for interested locals) and being labeled an extremist because I dare to be displeased with my government? I think this story has fired me up and made me more likely to go. And I might even make a sign or two. . .