Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Political Rantings & Ravings

You've probably heard all about these stories and issues, and if you know me personally, my responses to them are unlikely to surprise, but I still think they merit mention in what is essentially my journal.

- - - - - - -

I deeply resent Obama's declaration (while in Europe) that Americans have "shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive" of their allies. Nor do I appreciate his assertion that the US has "failed to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world". It sickens me that the man who represents us chooses to do so in this manner. There are better ways, Mr. President.

(It's interesting to note that-- so far-- this groveling excessively apologetic approach hasn't inspired other countries to step up to the plate and shoulder some/more of the burden in Afghanistan and elsewhere.)

- - - - - - -

According to a recent Pew Poll, there is a huge (61-point) partisan gap in Obama's approval ratings.

Some are arguing that one reason for this chasm is that so few respondents identified themselves as Republican (24% versus 34% identifying as Democrat)-- the implication being that those who continue to label themselves as "Republican" (as opposed to "conservative", for instance) are more likely to respond unfavorably to Obama than those who identified as Republicans twenty or forty years ago would have been.

Pew associate director Michael Dimock describes this view as "reasonable", but suggests that a more interesting aspect of the poll is the staggering 88% approval rating from Democrats. As one article phrases it, "we are left with the question of why the larger number of Democrats, making up 34% of the sample, approve of Obama so highly."

Here are some thoughts:
  • Many who voted Obama into office are so determined to support him that it will take a glaring, undeniable failure for them to withdraw their support. For some, this is merely because they don't want to admit that they were hypnotized by the chanting-- hoodwinked by the "cult of personality". For others, it goes deeper. They've waited a long time to see the Democrats back in control, and now that they have it, they'll fight tooth and nail to keep it.
  • Sadly, most of them probably don't have a clue what's actually going on in Washington, good or bad. They don't follow real news. (Many don't even know the name of the vice president, for crying out loud!) Instead, they scent the air-- compare notes with the Collective Mind (aka Twitter, YouTube, FaceBook, etc.)-- receive the message that "We are happy with Obama. Obama can do no wrong."-- so they go with the flow-- follow the herd-- and if someone asks how they feel about his job performance, well, by golly, they're just as pleased as they possibly could be. (I mean, duh. It's Obama, stupid. *insert eye-roll here*) Now, if the time should come when it becomes popular to disapprove of Obama, you can be sure that they'll follow suit, but please don't expect them to provide a logical explanation for that, either. *sigh*
- - - - - - -

Strange how you hardly ever hear anything about these Tea Parties in the news...

- - - - - - -

Here's a little something else I found on Michelle Malkin's website:


As half of a couple that not so long ago paid off a mortgage, I have to give this one a hearty "AMEN!" To pay for our house, we had to forego some of the expensive pleasures that we could otherwise have indulged in. If we could do it, so can they-- or else they shouldn't have chosen a house they couldn't afford. I'm sorry, but it's not our fault that others were irresponsible, and we shouldn't be forced (even more than we already are) to help pay their bills on top of our own. It's simply not right.

- - - - - - -

This is old (from before the election), but it's the first I've seen of it. Maybe it's just me, but this is one of the creepiest things I've seen in a long time...



(When I link to or embed these videos, I don't necessarily agree with the "more info" or people's comments. That should really go without saying, but just in case...)

- - - - - - -

I'm pretty sure you've all seen or heard this by now, but just in case:



If you don't care to watch the clip, here's a transcript of what one Obama supporter had to say after attending a rally:

"It was the most memorable time of my life. It was a touching moment because I never thought this day would ever happen. I won't have to worry about putting gas in my car. I won't have to worry about paying my mortgage. You know, if I help him, he's gonna help me."

It makes you wonder how many people believe(d) this way. . . Also-- If I didn't vote for O., does that mean that I don't get any free gas? :'o(

- - - - - - -

I imagine Donald's getting sick of hearing it, but so often, these days, I find myself hearing something about Obama and having to say, "If Bush had done/said that. . ."

Here's one example:

The media made a big deal about Obama "making his picks" for the silly (I cannot express how little I care about it) basketball championship-- and the necessity of his being able to see the games while abroad for the G20 summit.

First-- It's a total non-issue, because I seem to remember seeing lots of commercials about the fact that the (oh-so-boring) basketball games were going to be available online. (And come on. It's not like he was camped out in the jungle, but even if he were, we all know that the US prez would have access to those televized basketball games, no matter where he went.)

Anyway, I don't care that he wants to watch his game. Sure, that's fine. I understand that the guy needs an hour or two of entertainment, now and then. What does annoy me about this? Because it was Obama, the mood was clearly "oh, isn't that cute/cool? Obama's just like the rest of us! He really cares about basketball!" I submit that if the same thing had happened with the hated Bush, it would've been "What an idiot-loser! How dare he waste time on his stupid sports when there's a world in crisis?!"

That's just one instance, of course, but I may mention more in the future, as they occur. Just to give you a little something to look forward to. ;o)

- - - - - - -

So. I guess that'll do for now, as far as blowing off steam goes. I get the feeling I may be talking to myself (more than usual, that is), anyway. . . (g)