Friday, June 26, 2009

Why I'm Not Crying

I have a terrible confession: I haven't shed a single tear for Michael Jackson. And, even worse, seeing random people (on TV) all teary-eyed and rambling on and on about how great he was? Well, I only reach quickly for the remote.

I'm sorry the man died, and I'm sorry for the family and friends he left behind. I was sorry to hear about the other celebrity deaths this week, too-- but people die every day, and a celebrity's death is no more tragic than someone else's passing. (And really, it hardly affects our own lives much more than a stranger's death does. Honestly, Daisy's death had much more of an impact on my life than Michael Jackson's ever could-- not that I'm suggesting that a dog's death in any way equals the import of that of a human-- but I'm sure you get my point.)

I'm just sick of celebrity-worship in all its shapes and forms-- whether it's this media frenzy whenever someone dies-- or someone saying that Obama is "sort of God". (Ugh. That one is still barf-inducing.) But then again, I think I'm especially loath to worship my fellow man. I'm not eager to kneel before a mere mortal like myself-- (Too proud?)-- and I'm much more likely to drop a tear and send up a prayer for a common, unknown man, woman, or child than the latest big name in the news. Somehow, I feel that they need it more, because they don't have the whole world to mourn them. . .

Anyway. Don't mind me, I'm just in a grumpy mood tonight. ;o)