Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tuscaloosa Twister

I just can't get over the photos and video from yesterday's huge tornado in Tuscaloosa...


While I have always had a strong(er-than-average, I think) fear of violent weather and the possibility of being in the path of a tornado (which is probably the most frequent, consistent subject of my nightmares), even I don't really expect tornadoes in this number or of this magnitude, in the South. I used to think my degree of fear during tornado warnings was probably a little less than rational. This isn't Kansas, you know. Now I'm not as sure my level of fear is unwarranted.

People are less likely to have a basement, down here, than in some other parts of the country. If something like that is coming toward you, sheltering in a windowless, interior room (or closet) and covering yourself with blankets or a mattress might not be enough...

Prayers for everyone affected.