Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Vote This Way, Gramma.

I remember hearing about this type of thing, back in 2008-- and this isn't the first time I've heard about it this time around, either.  The gist is that "the young" are supposed to go around explaining to their elders-- grandparents and great-grandparents especially, it seems-- that they should vote for Obama. 

Michelle Obama, speaking to a group of approximately two dozen youths in a group of 350 (at a fundraising event with a ticket price of $500 each):

“I mean, I can’t tell you in the last election how many grandparents I ran into who said, I wasn’t going to vote for Barack Obama until my grandson talked to me, until my great-grandson talked to me, and talked about the future he wanted for this country.

“You can get out there with your parents. You guys can knock on doors. I had one young lady who brought me a petition — she’s already working. You can convince wrong people. Sometimes we don’t listen to ourselves, but we will listen to our children.”

Ugh.

When I was a child, I was taught to treat my grandparents with respect-- not to "give them a talking to" regarding their political positions-- not to (incorrectly) assume that they were too feeble-minded to have already been following the news and making up their own minds about how to vote.

(Also, "wrong people"?  *snort*)