Friday, December 7, 2007

Home Meme

Saw this meme on KiwiRia's LJ and thought I'd play along. :o)

1.) When you walk in your front door, which room do you enter?
Foyer-- small room meant to be an entryway and not much else. It has a tiny coat closet, a narrow table, some potted plants and knickknacks, and that's about it. From that room, you can go into the dining room, the "main room" (family room/living room/whatever you call it), or the hallway that leads to most of the rest of the house. However, that door is rarely used. Most of the time, we come and go through the kitchen door.

2.)Do you have a dishwasher?
Yes, we got one soon after moving into the house. It's a wonderful labor-saver, but it's pretty noisy, so I try to run it only at night (when we can shut the bedroom door to muffle the sound). Next time, I think we'll spend a bit more to get a quieter model. Still, it's getting the job done! :o)

3.) Is your living room carpeted or does it have hardwood floors?
Carpet. When it gets in bad shape (years and years into the future, we hope), we'll probably get something other than carpet, but for now, it's fine.

4.) Do you keep your kitchen knives on the counter or in a drawer?
Both. (g) Most of them are in a knife block on the counter, though.

5.) House, apartment, duplex or trailer?
House.

6.) How many bedrooms is it?
Technically (according the house plans), it has four bedrooms, but only one of those is used as a bedroom on a regular basis. There is a second bed in one of the other rooms-- ostensibly for guests, more often for the temporary storage of this and that. ;o)

7.) Gas stove or electric?
Electric. I know gas stoves are supposed to be better (for some reason), but I'm happy with electric. My mother's stove was (well, still is) gas, and I inherited her dislike for gas-- keeping the pilot light lit, the smell of the stuff when it doesn't want to stay lit, dealing with having the tank refilled, etc. The main good thing about gas I can think of is that you can cook even when the power's out. Usually that's not an issue, so I'm happy to have hassle-free electricity!

8.) Do you have a yard?
Oh, yes, we have plenty of yard. More than we need, really. (Or at least

9.) What size TV is in the living room?
I had no idea, so I had to measure. It looks like it's 27-28 inches. Not huge, but not tiny.

10.) Are your plates in the same cupboard as your cups?
Our plates and cups are all in the cabinets that line the kitchen wall. The plates are on one side of the sink and the cups/glasses are on the other, so I guess they're not in the same cupboard. (?) I don't really refer to them as "cupboards". Is a cupboard the same as a cabinet? And how do you tell where one ends and the next begins? ;o)

11.) Is there a coffee maker sitting on your kitchen counter?
No. We don't drink coffee. My grandmother gave us a spare one she had, though, so that our coffee-drinking guests wouldn't have to go without. It's in storage in the pantry.

13.) What room is your computer in?
Primarily the office.

14.) Are there pictures hanging in your living room?
Actually, nothing on the walls in this room is a "picture". There are three metal wall decorations, a couple of what I guess you'd call "wall sconce shelves" (with decorative items on display), and two pieces of embroidery. One is a dandelion made by Donald's mother, and other is a series of wild animals made by Donald's mormor.

15.) Are there any themes found in your home?
Hm. There's nothing in our house like a "Tuscan kitchen" or a "beach bathroom", really, but maybe there are some color themes, mostly centered around the wall colors. The kitchen (which has yellow walls) is decorated primarily in yellow, blue, and white. The dining room (two greens on the walls) is mostly green, with blue, cream, and white accents. I usually try to purchase rugs and things with an eye toward how they'll look with the rest of the colors in the room, but some of our stuff is hand-me-down or "whatever was the best deal at the time". Besides, it's not going to look like a picture out of a magazine for more than maybe a day at a time before the clutter of life takes over, so it's not worth worrying too much about. :o)

16.) What kind of laundry detergent do you use??
Why the double question marks? Is it really that urgent? ;o)
I use whatever is the best deal-- a good balance between quality and price. I don't remember the brand I use, but it comes in plastic buckets. The buckets are useful for storage and yard work, once the detergent's all gone.

17.) Do you use dryer sheets??
Sometimes. I always use either dryer sheets or liquid fabric softener-- but not both on the same load, of course.

18.) Do you have any curtains in your home??
Yes, I think we have curtains in every room. Now, many of these-- or all, even?-- fall into the "it was a good deal" category. I don't think I've ever bought a curtain that wasn't on sale. (g) I plan to gradually change them out for (or combine them with) different curtains-- possibly some that I'll sew myself, but for now they're working. And it's not like I hate them. ;o)

19.) What colour is your fridge??
White. All of our kitchen appliances are white, except for the stove, which came with the old trailer. It has a cream stovetop with a black oven door. (Sounds weird, but it looks normal, if a bit dated.) One of these days, we need to replace the stove. It's getting old. One burner's not working and another is a bit sketchy. We might be able to repair it/have it repaired, but I think we'd rather get a new one than put money into this old one. I like the look of stainless steel (like most folks these days do), but I don't know that I'm willing to pay a lot more for it. Especially since it wouldn't match our other appliances. We'll see.

20.) Is your house clean??
Um. Not perfect. It's not so much filthy dirty as it is cluttered. I need to do some serious de-cluttering/sorting.

21.) What room is the most neglected?
Probably the spare bedroom/library/fabric storage room. (It doesn't make much sense to call it the "library", these days, I guess, since there are almost as many books in the craft room and our bedroom, since we rearranged.) I've been spending more time in there, since I started getting interested in quilting. I keep my fabric in there and use the bed as a place to spread things out and look at them. Still, it probably gets the least attention-- Oh, except for the dining room. I'd completely forgotten about it. (That's how neglected it is. (g)) We never eat in there, except maybe once or twice a year, if there are guests. (g) I like the looks of the room, but there's just nothing to do there except sit at the table. ;o) Some day, I'm pretty sure that room will turn into something else. Maybe a playroom or a second living room.

22.) Are the dishes in your sink clean or dirty?
Dirty. I have a "thing" about sinks. I think they're dirty (on par with a toilet), so I'd never put a clean dish in there unless I meant to wash it over again. Just for the fun of it. ;o)

23.) How long have you lived in your home?
Hm. We moved in just before Christmas. . . 2003, I think. So it's been nearly four years.

24.) Where did you live before?
An old (late 1970s) trailer on this same property. Just a stone's throw from the kitchen door of this house. (We lived in the trailer while planning/saving for the house and waiting for it to be built.)

25.) Do you have one of those fluffy toilet lid covers on your toilet?
No.

26.) Do you have a scale anywhere in your house?
We have a bathroom scale that doesn't get much use. There's also a postal scale in the office.

27.) How many mirrors are in your house?
More than you'd expect, considering that I don't like having my photograph taken. ;o) Let's see. . . One in each bathroom. One in the dining room. (Is that weird? (g)) One in the foyer. One each in the master bedroom and spare bedroom (built into vanities-- pieces of furniture). That's six large mirrors-- then there are a few small hand mirrors here and there, too.

28.) Do you have a garage?
No, but it's on the agenda.

And. . . I guess that's it. :o)