Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday's Feast

Oops. I'm having to edit this, because I forgot to list three things on my desk!

A meme, courtesy of Friday's Feast:

Appetizer
What is your favorite beverage?

Dr. Pepper. I'm usually not too choosy about whether it's "the real thing" or a store brand approximation, but I've found that I don't like the Winn Dixie version (Dr. Chek, I think it's called) very much.

I keep telling myself that I'm trying to cut back on soft drinks. I know I don't need all that extra sugar (and other stuff). I also know from experience that once I make myself stop drinking them, I don't usually miss them that much after the first day or two. So far, however, I haven't forced myself to give them up. If they're in the house, I'm probably going to drink them, but I can't very well stop buying all soft drinks, because Donald drinks them, too. Well, he doesn't drink Dr. Pepper, and since that's my main cola addiction, I can go a long way by excluding them from the pantry.

Soup
Name 3 things that are on your computer desk at home or work.

This desk in the "main room" is more "mine" than the one in the office, even though the computer monitor is smaller and the computer's nothing fancy. I use this one 95% of the time. (That is, 95% of the time that I'm using a computer. Not 95% of my time, total. ;o) Just to make sure that's clear. . .)

So, three things on this desk. . . (I did something similar to this just a few days ago, coincidentally!) . . .

1. A glass full of pens and scissors. I've had a glass of writing instruments on my desk (at home) since I was a little girl. In the old days, it was usually a coffee mug. This one's a clear glass (with a slightly greenish tinge-- I love that kind of glass!) embossed with the image of a cow and the words "ABSOLUTLY PURE MILK". This is one of the things Donald brought from Sweden-- thus the "absolutly" instead of "absolutely". (g) I don't think it's a reference to Absolut Vodka-- just a typo.

2. A mail order catalog of Christmas decorations. I think Donald's mother, Britt-Marie, likes seeing these kinds of catalogs from the US, so I'm going to save it for her.

3. A couple of polymer clay pendants that I need to photograph. They're "experimental models" made from translucent polymer clay and some card-making flocking I bought on sale a week or two ago. Salad
On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being highest), how honest do you think you are?

Honestly (ha ha), I think it depends on the situation. In general, I'm pretty honest. A 9, maybe? However, I'm not someone who feels honor-bound to tell everyone everything-- especially if no good will come of it. There's such a thing as discretion. Sometimes it's necessary to tell a little white lie to protect someone from needless embarrassment or pain, and I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as it doesn't materially damage someone else.

Main Course
If you could change the name of one city in the world, what would you rename it and why?

Hm. . . I've never thought about this before. I'm sure there are plenty of cities out there with weird names that could use a change, but nothing jumps out at me. I suppose I might change the name of my hometown. There's nothing wrong with its real name, but it's a bit ho-hum. It'd be nice to live in a place with a more romantic name. (g)

Dessert
What stresses you out? What calms you down?

Some sources of stress:

  • bad news about the state of the world
  • most "health news"-- I just don't want to see, hear, or read it.
  • doctor's appointments
  • spending lots of time interacting with "new" people
  • Daisy's seizures (when there are lots of them)
  • the realization of the relentlessness of time :o(
  • trying to make the "right" decision when I'm not sure what that is
Some sources of calm:
  • nature -- trees, wind, water, sunshine, moonlight, clouds, sunsets
  • Donald
  • my dogs -- petting them, talking to them
  • prayer
  • a really good (familiar) book, movie, or TV show
  • getting lost for an hour in a hobby
  • being home-- shutting out the rest of the world for a while
  • a relaxing back-and-shoulder massage
  • (some) music
  • comfort food