Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Musical Interlude ;o)

Here are a couple of YouTube videos for your enjoyment. (Or not, depending on your personal taste in music. (g))

After catching a snippet of figure skating on TV the other night and recognizing the music one guy was skating to, I went looking for it online. Both of these are from the soundtrack of The Painted Veil. The film left me feeling pretty depressed. I enjoyed it, and I suppose the ending was more realistic than a "happily ever after" ending would've been. . . But I still feel that there are already enough sad endings in life without our needing to make up more of them.

Anyway, here are my favorite songs from the soundtrack:

Erik Satie's Gnossienne No. 1
The name looks atrocious (I don't care for "gn"), but the melody is oddly haunting.



"River Waltz" (by Alexandre Desplat) echoes some elements of the previous piece, but is more piercing, I think.