Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday Meme

From The Back Porch:

::Apple Pie Crust::

Onesome: Apple-- turnovers? Bear claws? Do you have a favorite pastry? You know, the one you can't pass up no matter what!

I'm not 100% sure what qualifies as a pastry. Are plain glazed doughnuts (Krispy Kreme style) pastries, for instance? (I love those. Plain/glazed, with no nasty filling to ruin the flavor, please.) I haven't had a whole lot of pastries with fillings in the past several years, but I used to be fond of cinnamon bear claws and blueberry and cream cheese danishes. (I like lots of other things, too, that I'm not sure would qualify as "pastries"-- pecan pinwheels, glazed cinnamon rolls, etc.) I generally prefer desserts without too much fruit to distract from the sugar, though I'll make the occasional exception. (g)

Twosome: Pie-- or cake? You're out to dinner and you get your choice: What do you go for? ...or do you simply have to have the creme brulee?

I think I will almost always choose cake over pie. Like I said, I'm not too impressed by most fruit-filled desserts. They're ok, but I'd rather have iced cake, some yummy cookies or "bars", or "candy".

Threesome: Crust--makes the pie, ya' think? Which pie absolutely has to have the proper crust or it just doesn't work for you?

As you might have deduced by now ;o) I'm not a connoisseur of pie, so I can't really say much on this subject. The one pie that sounds remotely appealing to me right now is key lime pie, and if I recall correctly, that has more of a crumbly graham cracker crust than a traditional flaky baked crust, right? All things considered, it's probably best if I leave this matter to more experienced pie-eaters.