Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday's Feast meme

Here's the feast for this Friday:

Appetizer

Have you ever played a practical joke on anyone? If so, what did you do and who was your victim?

The one that comes to mind is from several years ago. I'm not sure how long ago, exactly. . . I was probably in middle school-- maybe high school. My youngest sister, Kimberly, was still young enough that she had this PlaySkool-type kitchen and lots of pretend food made of plastic. We were all having a campfire and roasting hot dogs, one evening. For some reason, Mom and us girls went back in the house-- maybe for condiments or drinks? Anyway, we happened to see a plastic hot dog (frankfurter) in the play kitchen and one of us hatched an evil plan. ;o)

I don't remember the particulars, but somehow we managed to give Dad a (real) hot dog bun with the (carefully cleaned) plastic wiener inside. (g) It was dark, so he couldn't see anything wrong with it, but of course the first (attempted) bite gave it all away. ;o)

The moral of the story: Don't eat in the dark unless you really trust the chef. ;o)

Soup

What do your salt and pepper shakers look like?

Nothing fancy. They're little clear-glass jars with handles and plastic screw-on lids. The glass is decorated with a raised circular pattern with a "horn of plenty" in the middle and the words "Golden Harvest" above it. Basically, they look like miniature caning jars. I got them because they were relatively cheap and the lids were plastic. (I'd been having trouble with metal lids of shakers getting rusty.) Plus I like the idea of home caning, even if I'm not likely ever to do it. That whole "fresh country charm" thing really appeals to me-- especially in the kitchen.

While in Sweden over the summer, Donald and I bought a pretty, old* vintage set of shakers in a thrift store. They are marked with the Swedish names of the contents, and there are three in the set-- salt, peppar (pepper), and ingefära (ginger). I'm not sure if there used to be more in the set and these are all that are left or if it used to be common to keep ginger on the table with salt and pepper. (g)

Salad

Where is the next place you plan to visit (on vacation or business)?

We have no plans set in stone, but there was a little talk about a road trip up toward Prince Edward Island (Canada). I'm not so sure I really want to do that, though, and we'll have to give it a lot more consideration, one way or the other. Travel's ok, but I don't want to over-do it. ;o) Apart from feeling that there are other things we should spend that money on (a garage, for instance), I just really don't relish the thought of all those nights in hotels. I'd so, so much rather sleep in my own bed at night. If I had my way, I just wouldn't sleep during vacations. It's a waste of good time, anyway! (g)

Main Course

What kind of lotion or cream do you use to keep your hands from getting too dry?

I'm trying to work my way through a stash of lotions (some gifts, some things I bought for myself). Right now, I'm using a product that isn't being made any more (as far as I know)-- Extra Thick Body Cream by Sarah Michaels, Milk & Honey scent. I like the fact that the scent isn't overpowering, and it does feel very luxurious, lightly scooping the lotion-- er, excuse me, extra thick body cream-- from a tub, vs. squirting it out of a bottle (with an accompanying "rude noise", if the bottle's almost empty). (g)

I think the best lotion I've used, so far, has been the Equate (i.e. Walmart store brand) version of Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion. (I'm of the school of thought that most of the store brand versions are pretty much exactly the same thing as the name brand, and I can't justify spending more for the privilege of a different label.) The container doesn't look like it came from an expensive spa, nor is there a selection of delicate scents with catchy names, but it definitely moisturized my skin-- and kept them moisturized longer than anything else I've tried. I intend to buy more. Most of the lotions I have smell great and are fun to use as a light perfume, but they're not nearly as good for those times when my hands get dry.

Dessert

Make up a dessert, tell us its ingredients, and give it a name.

I'm not very adventurous in the kitchen. (g) I mean, I can season by instinct and taste (maybe not to everyone's taste, but I like it and Donald hasn't starved yet), and I don't always follow a recipe to the letter. But I don't think I've ever made up a dish entirely out of my own imagination.

I don't know. . .
Take a pound cake (made according to any recipe you like-- or buy one ready-made from the bakery). Put a good-sized slice on a plate. Pile on some homemade whipped cream (if you like-- personally, I don't care much for the stuff) and top with thinly-sliced strawberries. I call it Pound Cake with Strawberries. ;o) Yeah, I'm a culinary genius with a gift for naming stuff creatively! (g)

* Help! I think I'm addicted to "strike-throughs"! It seems like I'm using them more and more often, and I don't know how to stop! ;o)