Friday, April 4, 2008

Friday's Feast: #186

This Friday's Feast:

Appetizer
Invent a new flower, give it a name and describe it.

This kind of thing is always pretty difficult for me. There are already so many wonderful flowers-- and I haven't invented one before. ;o) Short of sitting down and drawing one (not going to happen today!), the only way I can describe a new flower is in terms of the "old" ones.

How about this?
It's a wall-scaling type of vine-- but not invasive or harmful to structures (so I could actually let it grow on my house without worrying that I'm destroying our home!!). The leaves are large (six inches or so across) and heart-shaped. They're colored like rose leaves-- some of them edged in red. The blooms (which are present year-round) are shaped like an old-fashioned cabbage rose, but they're fairly small (two inch diameter) and grow in small clusters. They are a rich creamy white with hearts of rose, and they smell like vanilla and almond. The buds tend to open all at once, and if you happen to be watching when they open, it's like seeing a time-lapsed video of an ordinary flower opening. I call it Climbing Breath o' Almond. ;o)

Soup
Name someone whom you think has a wonderful voice.

For singing, you mean? Hm. . . No-one comes immediately to mind. I'm more interested in the melody of the song than in the voice that sings it. I like Sarah McLachlan's voice, for one.

Salad
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest, how clean do you keep your car?

Inside, 8 or 9. I don't vacuum it very often, but I don't like a car to be cluttered. Outside, I tend not to notice that it needs washing until it really needs it. . . So maybe a 4 or 5?

Main Course
How do you feel about poetry?

I'm fairly ambivalent about poetry. I only read poetry "for fun" very rarely. I'd usually rather be reading prose. That said, I'm fond of some of the poetry I've been forced to read (in school), and I even wrote a little, years ago. I think the problem is that there's so much bad poetry (IMHO)-- and so much that simply doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to wade through all the yuck and blah to get to the few hidden gems. It's the same reason that for years I've tended to be a re-reader than take a risk on new novels. I've just read so many books (contemporary ones, especially) that left me cold, disappointed, or downright angry. . . I guess I'm picky!

Dessert
What was the last person/place/thing you took a picture of?

Yesterday, I snapped a few shots around the yard. I think the very last photo was an overview of part of the back yard, with the corner of the house in the foreground, looking all the way back to my grandfather's barn (and the trees further beyond it).