Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday's Feast - #190

Here are my responses to this week's Friday's Feast:

Appetizer
When someone smiles at you, do you smile back?

Yes, usually. The only exception I can think of is if it's a "mean" smile-- one of those "Sure, I'm smiling, but even a toddler would have the expression-reading skills to know that I loathe you" smiles. Fortunately, I don't get those that often. ;o) So yes, I smile back.

Interesting that this subject should come up today, because only yesterday I was thinking about the opposite-- why some people don't smile back when you make that friendly gesture. Maybe sometimes it's shyness-- or they're startled and don't have time to reciprocate until it's too late. Maybe it's just that they aren't used to positive interaction with people. Or maybe they're just mean. (g)

While grocery shopping yesterday, I twice came across the same grump. The first time, I waited as she exited an aisle so that I could enter it. As she left, she gave me a weird look. I guess I was supposed to try to squeeze in and not wait courteously so that we'd both have plenty of maneuvering room. Maybe she felt I was rushing her. . . by waiting? (shrug) I rolled my eyes at the canned goods (they knew exactly what I meant-- What a grump!) and went on with my business.

Later, in one of the frozen food aisles, I saw her again. She was totally engrossed in frozen , but I couldn't help noticing that her little girl (seated in the "shopping cart seat") was joyfully shaking a box of animal crackers and scattering them onto the floor (where they clattered rather noisily). I decided that she wasn't the type of woman who'd appreciate a kindly spoken alert ("Uh-oh, you're gonna loose all your cookies!"), so was placidly making my way onward when the mother finally re-emerged from the wonderful and fascinating world of frozen food, saw what her little darling was doing, and then looked directly at me. I smiled in an "Oh, kids! What can you do?!" sort of way, and for my troubles was favored with a second weird look. What? Did she think I was an undercover cop for the Grocery Police, come to reprimand her for letting her daughter muss up the store? Soon I was alone in the aisle with the abandoned cookies. At least they didn't glare at me as I walked past. ;o)

Soup
Describe the flooring in your home. Do you have carpet, hardwood, vinyl, a mix?

Carpet and vinyl. A very neutral beige carpet is in the main room and all the bedrooms. Everything else is vinyl-- two different "faux tile" designs. We'd certainly like to upgrade, but there are too many other things we want/need to do first-- and the house isn't really old enough to require new flooring, so we'll be keeping what we have for a good while.

Salad
Write a sentence with only 5 words, but all of the words have to start with the first letter of your first name.

My mother made my meals. (When I was a kid, of course.)

Main Course
Do you know anyone whose life has been touched by adoption?

I can't think of anyone I know intimately who adopted/was adopted. . . I know a couple who considered adopting, but it didn't work out (it was a complicated situation with the child's biological family, I think). As it turned out, they ended up having children, not long after.

Dessert
Name two blue things.

1. A folder on this desk (full of notes I've taken at the computer-- polymer clay stuff).
2. The frame and background of a ribbon-embroidered heart of rosettes sewn by Donald's mother. It was a wedding present. (It's on a shelf above the monitor-- the first thing I see when I look up.)