Tuesday, September 23, 2008

We pay the price for the idiocy of others. As usual.

I've been purposely avoiding news and radio for a while, now, because lately it either depresses or infuriates me. Today, I listened just a few minutes, and already I feel I could cheerfully condemn any number of people to the fieriest pits of. . . well, you get the point.

I know life's not fair. I know I have so much to be thankful for that I should probably just shut my mouth-- or, er, still my fingers-- and be grateful for what's good and right in my part of the world. But I can't help it. It fills me with incredible wrath to think that we're going to be punished for the idiocy of others.

We are responsible. We pay our bills. We save for what we want and need. We don't thoughtlessly grab every little (or big) thing that attracts our interest. We make careful decisions based on what we can afford. And for what? So that we can now be forced to help others pay for their foolish-- selfish-- impulsive choices?!

Charity should be a matter of free choice. No-one should be forced by the government to pay for someone else's poor planning. I might be more moved to help others if I didn't whole-heartedly believe that it will just be wasted-- and if it could be my choice, for my part, to help or not to help.

(sigh)

I think I'd feel so much better if I could just punch someone a few times. . . ;o) (Maybe I ought to take up kickboxing for exercise. (g))