Thursday, January 29, 2009

Computers, Trixie's "Fixed", & Quilting

It's been a while since I've written. ("No! Really?!") I wrote a fairly lengthy entry, last week, but before finishing it, I decided that it wasn't worth publishing. It was about "giving" versus "giving back"-- primarily about the irritating semantics of the latter-- and it probably made me sound like a big old meanie. So I'm leaving it locked up with a handful of other unfinished blog entries that will never see the light of day.

Anyway. . . With that entry tossed aside, I'm starting from scratch, and I'm not too sure that I have much worth reporting, but I'll scrape together a few odds and ends (that is the name of the blog, after all), and you'll have something new to read here, at least. ;o)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Donald's been home nine days, now, and we've gotten back into our usual routines. (It's amazing how quickly things fall right back into place, isn't it?) He brought home lots of digital copies of old family photos-- plus some new photos and videos taken during his time in Sweden. One of these days, I'll edit and upload some of those, as I know that at least a few of you would be interested. I'll probably wait until the issue in the next "section" is resolved, though, as I'm lazy about transferring files from one computer to another. (Plus the colors are "off" on this monitor, compared to the other... Oh, gee, whatever could the next section be about? I wonder...)

- - - - - - - - - - -

For the past couple of days, we have been unable to access the Internet on our "main computer"-- i.e. the real computer with the nice monitor, a.k.a. the one that we use 99% of the time. I can't complain too much, since the laptop is still able to connect to the Internet, but it is a bit awkward. I don't like having to adjust to the different keyboard, and it's not as fast (in some ways), and not all of the files and programs I want are on this computer, etc., etc.. wah wah wah. ;o)

Whether I'm being a whiny baby or not, we do need to figure out the problem, sooner or later. And by "we", what I really mean is Donald, of course. (g) Not that I'm unwilling to help, but I'm afraid I'd only make matters worse if I started fiddling with it too much. (I'm pretty good with computers, until they stop working properly. :oP)

- - - - - - - - - - -

We had Trixie spayed today. (We weren't planning to breed her, so the sooner the better. She just turned 7 months old a few days ago.) We've already heard from the veterinarian that the surgery went fine, and she came out of anesthesia as expected, which was a relief to hear. She may be "just a dog", but she's our dog, and I was a little worried about her. They're keeping her until tomorrow (standard procedure). (She also got her final round of shots. From now on, she'll just need the regular annual shots.)

The house is certainly quieter without her in it. No puppy kisses or "Oh, I'm sooo happy to see you!!" greetings, though, so it's not really a good trade.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I finished snipping my rag quilt, and I finally got around to washing and drying it. It was (as predicted) quite a messy process, with all that lint and loose thread. If you like, you can read more about it (in very great detail (g)), on my sewing blog. There are also a few photos of the finished, raggedy quilt on my Flickr photostream.

Oh, I'll go ahead and put one of them here, too:

Denim Rag Quilt

- - - - - - - - - - -

After finishing sewing that first rag quilt, I promptly began dreaming about my next one. I was literally having my dreams invaded with quilt patterns and flannel combinations and so on. Clearly, it was time to start working on another one. ;o) Fortunately, I've been saving old jeans for months (and thankfully accepting cast-off jeans from family members on both sides of the Atlantic (g))-- and I have a stash of flannel (mostly bought at Jo-Ann Fabrics for 99 cents a yard during the 2007 day-after-Thanksgiving sale). It was just a matter of drawing up a new design!

I've cut the denim I'll need for my next project, and now I'm just trying to decide what combination of flannels to use this time. This second lap quilt is going to be squares "on point"-- maybe a little trickier than the simple pattern of rows and columns of squares that I used for my first quilt. We'll see how it goes. . . I'm still not sure whether I'll leave the edges "jaggedy" or fill in the gaps with triangles. I was thinking I'd fill them in with triangles, but now I'm reading about the bias issue, and it sounds like making those triangles is slightly more complicated than I'd thought. I think I understand how to make my triangles so that the bias cut won't be on the edge of the quilt. It'll just involve a little extra cutting and sewing. I wonder if that would really matter on a rag quilt, anyway. . . And should I hide my seams (each of the triangles would have one through its middle) or expose and rag those like all the other seams? (I doubt it matters, beyond aesthetics.) Well, better to take a little extra time and trouble than ruin the whole thing, I guess.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Hm. That'll have to do for this time. Dishes need washing.