Thursday, February 5, 2009

"There are no words to describe it."

No words to describe how cold it was here last night, that is. That's according to one local TV news reporter-- a woman they'd stuck outside just so there would be someone to personally testify to the inexpressible cold. (Why would they put someone outside to demonstrate cold when there's not even ice, snow, or frost to show? It's not like it was a tropical storm where she count point to a few flying leaves and twigs and enthusiastically label them as "debris".)

Those of you not living in a subtropical climate may wonder at what point the cold becomes so severe that there are no words to describe it. Well, we were predicted to drop down to as low as 21 degrees (F) overnight, but at that point, it wasn't even 10 p.m., so it was probably still in the 30s.

Yes, the low 20s is cold and even the 30s aren't much fun to stand around in for no good reason (no arguments here!), but "no words to describe it". . .? I wonder what happens when you go up where it gets really cold-- like -40 F. I guess then there are no words to describe how indescribably indescribable the cold is. Or maybe you freeze instantly, forever encapsulated in your own personal ice cube. ;o)

-- -- -- -- --

And on a totally unrelated note:

I was looking back through my photos at Flickr, when I came across the pictures I took of yarn, back when I joined Ravelry and wanted "stash" photos. (I mainly joined so that I could see people's finished projects, when they mentioned them on their blogs and at Twitter. I need to get back into crochet, though. I was enjoying it, even if I hadn't even managed to produce consistently sized granny squares. (g))

Anyway, these are pretty boring photos, unless you're really interested in yarn-- and those who are really interested in yarn wouldn't be likely to want to sit and stare at the yarn in my stash, because it's all relatively cheap stuff bought on sale or clearance at Hobby Lobby. (I like it, but most fiber art aficionados would look down their noses at it, I imagine.) So it's no surprise that most of these photos have had very few views. A couple have 12 or 15 views, and that strikes me as an impressive number, considering the subject matter.

Then there's Yarn Bee's Luscious "Peanut Butter & Jelly", which has been viewed 157 times! And the focus isn't even quite on spot! There are no comments, but 157 separate times, somebody just had to see that single skein of yarn up close. Funny, huh?