Monday, March 14, 2011

Mish-Mash of Subjects

The video and photos from Japan (following a magnitude 9.0 earthquake, a devastating tsunami, and problems at a nuclear power plant [to remind Future Me of what's been happening in the present]) continue to astound and horrify.  There's nothing to say that hasn't been said already, really-- especially regarding the loss the life.  It's just incredible, the level of damage created by the tsunami, in particular.

I remember how tired I was in those first days after Ivan (which doesn't even begin to compare, but is the most violent natural event I can remember experiencing)-- how dispiriting it was-- how it sometimes felt like we'd never get everything back to normal again-- so I can't even imagine how physically and emotionally exhausted so many of the Japanese must now be feeling.   I hope they know (as I think they must) that the rest of the world is praying for their recovery from this disaster.

- - - - - - -

On a much lighter subject (most subjects would be, compared to the previous), Donald and I spent part of the weekend cleaning out our shed.  It really needed it.  There's still work to be done (isn't there always?), but it's already much improved.  

There's no telling how many dead or dying wasps Donald removed.  Hundreds, at least.  Maybe thousands.  It makes me feel all shuddery just thinking about the piles of horrible little crispy wasps.  (I loathe wasps.  I expect most people dislike them, but I'm somewhat terrified of them.  They and mosquitoes are a large part of the reasons I don't look forward to summertime.)  Oh!  We also found a small snake in the shed.  We think it was a corn snake.  (There seem to be quite a few of those around here.  Those and hog-nosed snakes.)  It's probably still in there, but that's ok.  I'd rather have the little corn snake than something worse. 

In the process of cleaning out, we discovered quite a few things we need to dispose of.  I guess we'll get rid of it gradually by putting out a little each week with the garbage. 

We also "found" (in quotation marks because, really, we already knew they were in there) all my hypertufa-making supplies.  I'm going to hunt out my 'tufa notebook, remind myself how to do it, and get busy making fake stone containers.  :o)

- - - - - - -

I've begun doing a little yard work.  (Finally.)  I'm trying to do just a little at a time and not push myself too hard.  (Ha ha, very funny.  Yes, I can hear you laughing.  "You'll try not to push yourself too hard!" you snort in delighted hilarity.  You know me too well.)

Seriously, though, I don't want a repeat of last spring's horrible back pain-- and it's so easy to do something bad without realizing it is bad until it's too late.  My first day working outside (Saturday), I must have spent too much time using the loppers, because I ended up with an irritatingly achy shoulder/upper arm and neck that night and the next morning.  So.  Only a little at a time!  Fortunately, even a little does show.  There's just so much to do!

- - - - - - -

Just after healing from biting one side of my tongue, I think I just managed to bite the other side, now (but not with quite so much force, this time).  Incidentally, I can't even remember the last time I bit my tongue (just so you don't think I make a habit of it).  I guess I was overdue for a couple of tongue bites... Might as well get two or three of them over and done in a handy one-week period.  ;o)

- - - - - - -

Apparently, AFLAC fired Gilbert Gottfried over some "insensitive" (not to mention unamusing) tweets he made about the tsunami.  They'll be looking for someone to replace him as "voice talent" for their commercials, according to the story I read.  That shouldn't be too difficult, considering that the duck never says anything but "AFLAC"... Just pull someone in off the street, right?