Monday, May 2, 2011

Well, You Can't Make Everyone Happy...

Apparently, some Islamic scholars "criticize" Osama bin Laden's burial at sea as a "violation of Islamic tradition".  And then there are others-- myself, for example-- who did a double take at the news that he was buried at sea at least partially to comply with some Islamic law that dead bodies be buried within 24 hours of death.

Um, 'scuse me a moment... What?!

Ok, I get the whole "no nation would have wanted his body, and we didn't want to give them the chance to make a 'shrine' of a specific burial spot" aspect-- so fine, burial in a non-disclosed location or at sea-- but I don't really give a bleepity-bleep how he would have wanted to be buried, and personally, I'm astonished that they even took the "rules" of his religion into consideration at all.  My opinion?  Just be thankful that we're a decent enough, civilized enough nation that we didn't put his sorry carcass on display somewhere.  (M'kay?)

And the argument that this "disrespectful" sea burial will entice retaliation?  Oh, come on.  We know they're going to want to retaliate, no matter how he was disposed of.  They've wanted to kills us, all along.  That's not going to change anytime soon.  (Oops, maybe I should've labeled that with a spoiler alert...) So basically, just shut up, scholars and clerics.

Oh, and have a great day.