Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Facebook = :'- (

"Author Says Facebook Is Making Us Miserable".
(What have I been saying-- to myself, if not others?)

"Facebook is making us unhappy by making everyone else look really, really happy."

Author Daniel Gulati blogs for Harvard Business Review.  He says all that shared information is creating a subconscious "ranking" among friends as our curated selves broadcast online are compared in real life. 

"Facebook is bringing down a lot of people's daily sense of well-being."  

Well, that's a big part (not all of it, but a very big part) of why I deleted my personal Facebook account.

I realize that it sounds kind of namby-pamby-- if not downright pathetic-- to admit that you start to feel a little dissatisfied with your own life just because Facebook makes it seem like everyone else on the bloomin' planet is thoroughly fulfilled, living up to every potential, happy-happy, 100% perfect (or at least Better Than You), and generally peachy-keen, but to tell the truth, I noticed that every time I visited the site, I came away feeling a degree or two sadder... discontented... somehow deflated. (So maybe I am namby-pamby.  Oh well.)

Anyway, it's always nice to find another Facebook decrier.  ;o)

P.S. If you love Facebook, I have nothing against you personally.  I just secretly hope for the day when your favorite social media site goes up in flames. :o)  On to the next thing!