Thursday, June 12, 2014

Progress Pix

The ivy vines on the trellis are slow growers, but at least they're all still green.  ;o)

Ivy Trellis Progress

The passionflower, on the other hand, is growing by leaps and bounds! 

Here it is last time I took a photo of the whole trellis (toward the end of May)...

Passionflower Vine Progress

And here it is today:

Passionflower Vine Progress

There are four blooms open, today, June 12th-- two on each side of the trellis.

- - - - - - -

I've been moving our more "common" orange daylilies down to the sides of the shed. I've read that people sometimes think their more unique hybridized daylilies are reverting back to orange (which is physically impossible) for the simple reason that the exuberant orange lilies out-compete their more mild-mannered cousins. I don't want that, so I'm moving the orange daylilies to their own area, where they can take over and crowd and be bullies, if they want.  I think they'll look nice against the red shed, too.  (The main potential problem is that the ones on the north side might not get enough sun.  I'll have to keep that in mind and move them yet again, if they're unhappy.)

The plain ones (not blooming yet) went on one side and the double- (or triple-?) petaled ones on the other. 

Orange Daylilies

Double (Triple?) Orange Daylilies

- - - - - - -

These are the only daylily seedlings we got from the first batch of seeds. (The result of disastrous flooding and poor planning.  Maybe inferior seed, too, but I'm not sure about that.)  Still, as long as these are hanging on, it's not a total loss.  (I wonder what colors and quirks are hidden in the DNA of these tender green shoots...)

The Dirty Not-Quite-a-Dozen

Here are the new daylily seedlings on about June 8th:

Daylily Seedlings!

And here they are today (June 12th):

Daylily Seedlings

We planted all but 5 of the 83 seeds, I think. (Those just never germinated, and a few of them were disintegrating and/or molding, so I tossed them.) Almost all of the germinated seeds we planted put up green shoots, and most seem to be doing well, so far. There's one albino (upper left corner), which is interesting, but unfortunately, I've read that those usually die. (You can feed them sugar-water until they get big enough to live off nutrients in the soil-- since they can't get their energy from the sun-- but it sounds very elaborate, and in the end, iffy at best.  I think I'll just have to let that one go.)

- - - - - - -

To end on a pretty note, the large gardenia bush is blooming!

Gardenia