Thursday, November 15, 2007

Book Meme

Ooh, found another book meme. It's updated on a monthly basis. You can find it here: Shelly's Book Shelf: Booked by 3.

Here are the questions (and my answers) for November:

Adaptations this time.

1. Books Made Into Movies (can include TV shows)

  1. Do you prefer to read the book before or after seeing the movie?
  2. Do you prefer to not see movies or TV shows made from your favorite books?
  3. Do you prefer a faithful adaptation or does it not matter?
My answers:
  1. Usually, I think I'd prefer to read the book first. However, I think it might be wiser for me to see the movie first. The reason for this? If I love a movie adaptation, I'm probably going to love the book even more (because it goes into more detail). I'll still love the movie, because it was my first introduction to the story. If I see the movie after reading the book, I'll be constantly comparing it-- it can't possibly depict things as I pictured them while reading-- and I'm probably less likely to love the movie, however much I loved the book. Yet still I say "book first"-- something about wanting to form my own impressions of the story. (shrug)
  2. No, I'm not that much of a purist. I'm definitely interested in seeing film or TV adaptations of books I love.
  3. I don't think I've ever seen-- or will ever see-- a completely faithful adaptation. Actually, sometimes, the more "faithful" the adaptation tries to be, the less I like it. It's simply not possible to translate everything in a book into film. They're different media and they work differently. A movie that tries to encompass every single thing that's in a book feels as though it's plodding painfully along, I think. I'm much more concerned that the adaptation be faithful to the spirit of the work. Details aren't quite so crucial.
2. Novelizations of Movies/TV Shows
  1. Do you read them?
  2. Do you prefer reading them before or after seeing the movie/tv show?
  3. Do you prefer a faithful adaption or does it not matter?
My answers:
  1. I read a few-- a very few-- as a teen. These days, I'd probably not be that interested-- but maybe I'm missing out on something great.
  2. I imagine I'd prefer seeing the show first. That way I'd know which story lines and characters interest me most. Besides. . . maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think these types of things qualify as high literature, do they? I don't think many people read them without having first seen (and loved) the show or movie. It's basically glorified fanfic, isn't it? Printed and bound-- and rather better than most amateur fanfic, but in essentials much the same. (Uh oh, my book snobbery's showing. (g))
  3. I can't really say for sure, having so little experience. I think I'd feel the same about this as I do about film adaptations of books. You want the spirit to be the same: characters should behave as they normally do, major scenes should be included, etc. On the other hand, it might be nice if it adds a little something new to the story. Otherwise, you might as well just watch the show again, right?
3. Miscellaneous
  1. Are there books you'd love to see adapted for movies or TV shows or any you hope will never be adapted?
  2. Do you envision favorite actors as characters while you read?
  3. Are there adaptations you think are dead on or any that make you cringe?
My answers:
  1. Hm. I'm sure there are some I'd like to see adapted. . . Oh, yes! I'd love to see good miniseries adaptations of LMM's lesser-known series-- the Emily and Pat series. Or any of her other books, for that matter. The Blue Castle would make an excellent film. I'd also be happy to see adaptations of Charlotte Bronte's "other" books-- especially Villette. I know there are others, but that'll do for starters. ;o) I can't think of any book that I hold so sacred that I'd not want to see it ever adapted. (Seriously, people. Just don't watch it, if it bothers you that much.)
  2. No, I don't think so. . . Not unless I've already seen them play the role in a movie or on TV. In that case, I can sometimes find it impossible to read certain scenes without seeing that person's expressions and hearing that person's voice, as I read. (That's only true for portrayals that I like, though. If it's something I didn't care for, I tend to forget it very quickly. Which is good; otherwise it might ruin the book for me! (g))
  3. There are several I love (BBC's Ehle/Frith version of Pride and Prejudice, Sullivan's Anne of Green Gables, Masterpiece Theatre's Jane Eyre, etc.), but I don't know if I'd say they were "dead on". . . Certain aspects of characters or scenes might be very good, but "dead on". . . no, probably not 100%. (In some cases, such as Jane Eyre, they made quite a few changes, but I still like it very much.) Even if they aren't "dead on", however, I still find them very enjoyable, and I think each manages to capture the feeling of the book. As for cringing, I tend to block the stinkers out of my mind. Usually it's not the whole thing that makes me cringe-- just certain parts. Like when Anne in the (recently re-released) BBC version of Anne of Avonlea drops her g's. Every time she said "talkin'" instead of "talking", for instance, I did cringe. (shudder) It still gives me the willies. It's not that I'm personally offended by the occasional dropped "g". But that's not how Anne talks!! (g)