Friday, May 2, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Mayday!

This meme completely slipped my mind, yesterday.

This week's Booking Through Thursday is on the theme of "Mayday":

Quick! It’s an emergency! You just got an urgent call about a family emergency and had to rush to the airport with barely time to grab your wallet and your passport. But now, you’re stuck at the airport with nothing to read. What do you do??

And, no, you did NOT have time to grab your bookbag, or the book next to your bed. You were . . . grocery shopping when you got the call and have nothing with you but your wallet and your passport (which you fortuitously brought with you in case they asked for ID in the ethnic food aisle). This is hypothetical, remember….

I know it's sacrilege (g), but I might not absolutely require a book. However, if I'm all alone and have to sit still for a very long time, I guess I will be wishing I had something to read-- or a book of word games-- or some paper to write on. (I think I generally spend more time writing, doodling, or doing puzzles than reading, while I'm flying.)

The answer seems obvious, if it's a fairly large airport. If I had to read, I'd seek out a bookstore-- or any shop that might have books, magazines, or newspapers-- and see if they have anything remotely interesting. I suppose you may pay more for something you buy in an airport (don't think I've ever actually done it before), but it could be worth it.

If I couldn't find anything to read, I'd have to content myself with walking around, looking out the windows, and people-watching. Airports are interesting places to watch people. Besides, I'm usually too excited and nervous when anticipating a flight to feel like sitting down for a long read. Walking is a good way to release some of that nervous energy.